Thursday, May 22, 2008

Next stop.....Our Beach Honeymoon....

After a night at Chad's, we headed to Oak Island. A small beach community @ 45 minutes north of Myrtle. It was an easy drive! We hadn't been there for 2 years and in that time the Wilmington bypass was completed! Hooray!

I have always been a bit of a homebody....I love quiet time to read, knit, cook, hang out. Mike, on the other hand, is a mover! He doesn't quietly sit still for long. He has to be talking and doing something most of the time. As many of you know...I was a bit concerned about him spending a week alone with me...no son or son-in-law to hang with....no grandchildren to dig on the beach with or swim in the ocean with....no daughter to make us laugh...nobody to play beach cornhole or pitch horseshoes with....just me!

Let me tell you....HE LIKED IT...HE REALLY LIKED IT!!! We had the best week together and we relaxed and read books and walked and cooked together, held hands, snuggled and watched basketball play offs. We got up early and went to bed early.

I don't know how Mike felt but I felt young again! It was an absolutely wonderful week. I know George and Lynn are probably tired of all my "thank you's" but there aren't words to express what that week meant to us. I have told them many times when their beautiful card came in the mail a year ago and we read their note of love and encouragement and their offer of a week at their Ivy Cottage, Mike and I both cried. We were counting down to my surgery and, though very lifted up by our family, friends, church and community, we weren't looking ahead too far. Their "gift" gave us something to look forward to...something to think of beyond the cancer and the surgery. It came on a day that was very emotional for us and we will NEVER forget that moment.





Amongst all the tall beach houses set this darling little cottage. We passed it by when we first got there!
A view of the back sun room and deck.


I thought the sun room was my favorite room but I must say taking showers under the moon and stars in the outside shower was quite enjoyable....it even felt a bit naughty!


The view from our deck. The ocean and beach are on the other side of the dune. It was a short walk from our deck. I love the sound of the ocean waves. I've actually had trouble sleeping since we returned! Mike is going to buy be some fake ocean sound sleep machine! I wish he could build me an outside shower too!!


His favorite place in the living room...drinking Corona surrounded by his beach birds.


We had rain on Mother's Day but it was still beautiful. We got up early that morning and took our mile walk to the pier before the rain started.


Chad, Keri and Anabella drove over late Saturday night and was with us for Mother's Day and Monday. Bella loved feeding the sea gulls.
Wow....this one was very tame! It should be...it had been drinking Corona with Mike in the living room all week!


Since Mother's Day was so rainy and windy (60 mph), we promised Bella we would go to the beach on Monday. The sun was warm but there was a cool breeze. You would never know it from watching her! She had fun playing in the water and digging up little clams.



Mike talking to one of you on his cell...I would guess Matt or Pat or Cookie! Can you hear me now?


Chad and Bella decided to go in......Chad did the dive but Bella changed her mind (smart girl!)



Chad, Keri and Bella headed back home Monday evening. Chad & Keri had done all the cooking on Mother's Day....Keri made a delicious breakfast...so big we didn't need lunch. Then Chad grilled filet mignon and Wahoo fish for dinner to go along with Keri's baked potatoes and salad. I can't remember the last time I got to spend MD with my North Carolina son!
It's always hard to say goodbye...
Bella is never ready to leave....hopefully we will see her again during the summer!
Thanks for a fun 2 days! Anabella learned to play checkers and she LOVED the game Left Right Center(LRC). She won some quarters for her big money jar!



This was the view from the sun room.


Can anyone tell me what this is? I'm thinking aliens from another planet building a city under the ocean.





This was the fishing pier we walked to everyday. On Wednesday we actually walked out on it.
These people take their fishing very seriously!


Our last walk back to the cottage on Thursday....


Our area of the beach was very rocky. We were thankful to have our goofy looking water shoes!


Goodbye Ivy Cottage....


2 comments:

Stacy said...

Hi Leslie!

Sorry I haven't written to you! I get busy and sometimes don't find the time for the simple things in life! It has been awesome to read up on your blog about the family. Everyone looks the same, just older! I can't believe how many years have passed since I saw you last! I'm thinking 20 to 25. That's a long time!!! Anyway, your trip to the beach looks amazing. It makes me want to take a day off and drive to Wilmington! Must go for now. Talk to you soon! Stacy

Tam-e said...

What a cute little place! I so need a vacation!!!! Bobby and I are hoping to make it out to the west coast this fall. I have been trying to get him to commit. I think he is almost there! :) So happy that you got to spend time with Mike. Just the two of you. And you got to see Chad too! That is wonderful!