Sunday, June 24, 2007

Sunday...

Our nurse began attempting to kick us out of the room last night around 10.....Chad decided to leave at 11 to not make us look so guilty with staying past visiting hours. Mom was very content with the pain meds she was taking and we confirmed with the nurse what the "night time" plan was to stay on top of the pain. Well, evidentally when that nurse got off and the new nurse came on, that plan went out the window! Dad and I had left at midnight and Mom slept and then woke up at 2:30am a little panic'd knowing she had missed 2 doses of pain meds. The nurse woud not give her the "good stuff".......so Mom said she told herself, I can sit and cry or choose to beat it. She got out of bed, went to the bathroom (by herself) and then sat in a chair. She said she was so proud of herself, and felt impowered. She has not had any oxycontin since 8:30 last night, and has just been doing a small dose of morphene and the perkeset. Dad showed up at like 5 or something and Gma and I were there at 6:30 so we didn't miss the doctor. Chad called us, but we told him to get packed up. (he flies out today)

The doctor made her rounds and decided tomorrow could be discharge day. Now, our secret game plan was to run her home until Thursday, but she nixed that idea quickly. Mom cannot leave campus, but the doctor won't pay the hotel bill! :) They want to make sure she can independently manage her pain today. Dad got a lesson with the bandages today and Gma is the understudy for the job. Mom was eating breakfast, oh, and she already walked today and is able to roll and get up w/o pain for all you nurses out there.

My heart is very heavy today....I am supposed to go home today, and as much as I miss the kids and Matt, it will be hard to say goodbye to Mom. When the doctor told her she had to stay here until Thursday, I burst into tears. I have spent every waking hour with her, but I know I am leaving the 2 best people, Dad and Gma with her. I know Chad feels the same way. It was a powerful family moment last night when we all pulled together. That is what it is all about and a time I will never never forget. As difficult as it was, we were there for each other.

I also feel like I am having a "blog break up" with all of you. But, not to worry, I will continue to post blogs, via Coshocton with my phone updates from them. Who knows, maybe Mom will just be able to walk herself down to the computer room in the Hotel by Thursday.

I will check back before I leave today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ecclesiastes 4:12 Though one may be overpowered,
two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

Praying against your pain this Lord's day. But....Your most powerful "medication" has come from the love and support of you husband, your children and your family.....as well as the many many prayer warriors from all over (even Louisiana)who are lifting you daily to our Lord and Savior. Hang in there, Les. He is with you always.

Like Ginger, I know he is counting on you to be His witness and sing praises to His name for all to hear "How Great is our God"!!

Peace and Rest for you all.

Rich & Carolyn

julie barnhard said...

Hello Leslie, Mike, Val and Chad...
We returned from vacation late last night and I was so relieved to hear how well your surgery went!! I was so tired from traveling but stayed up another hour just so I could read about your journey. I wanted to write last night but was too emotional. I just kept thinking through the tears...."God is going to keep this wonderful couple TOGETHER so they can witness to so many.. How wonderful!"
Ecc:4:12 was one of Dan and I's favorite scriptures also. We had it posted on the wall in the living room during the illness and we read it many times. That "bond" really does not ever break when God is the foremost part of your relationship.
As I sat on the beach this past week I was finally able to say..... Dan came into my life, he loved me, comforted me, directed me and encouraged me. He served his purpose completely and now awaits us for the amazing eternal life God promised us. I have gained, not lost, by knowing Dan.
I know that you and your family are witnessing to so many during this and God is looking down saying "That's my children...aren't they just amazing"!!! Much love,,,,Julie